A Remarkable Camp Location
- The Camp is located atop the Grand Mesa, in the Grand Mesa National Forest (GMNF), which encompasses 346,000 acres of pristine public lands, 300 lakes and cool green slopes covered with aspen and spruce trees. With spectacular scenery, it is noted for its natural features, abundant wildlife and a great variety of outdoor recreation opportunities year ’round.
- The GMNF is located in the central and southern Colorado Rocky Mountains, an area that lies south of the Colorado River and west of the Continental Divide, locally called the “western slope” of the Rockies.
- The Grand Mesa is one of the world’s largest flat top mountains, due to a lava cap formed by ancient lava flows. Altitudes range from 10,000 to 11,000 feet high (compared to Grand Junction at 4600 ft.). At this altitude, the nights are chilly and the days warm and mostly sunny, sometimes an afternoon shower passing through.
- The main road is the national Grand Mesa Scenic and Historic Byway Route 65.
- While the Camp has a cozy feel of log buildings and cabins, it has modern amenities and comforts such as hot and cold running water, heaters and electricity.
- Meeting buildings include the Chapel, dining hall, lodge, recreation hall and a craft hall. The small “Tumble Inn” houses the Camp’s historic archive and artifacts.
- On the east side of the Camp are seven cabins and a restroom/shower building for women; six cabins and a restroom/shower building for men are on the west side. Cabins sleep 8 campers.
- Outdoor features include a setting on the shores of Lake Baron, a boat dock, play field, campfire ring and several parking areas.
- A full-time Caretaker resides on the property. Cooks and a host of experienced volunteers round out the team for each Camp.
- The Camp is accessible and used in only in summer. After the Christian camp schedule ends, the Camp is available for rent for about a month until the early winter sets in.
- The Grand Mesa Christian Association owns and operates the 28-acre Grand Mesa Christian Camp. Grand Mesa Baptist Camp is hosted each summer along with camps offered by the owner churches which include Baptist, Southern Baptist and Methodist churches.